There has been a dramatic increase in large commercial freighters anchoring close to homes and environmentally sensitive areas in in the Southern Gulf Islands and South East Coast of Vancouver Island.
The backlog of ships waiting to get into Port of Vancouver right now means there were recently 27 bulk cargo ships anchored in the Southern Gulf Islands, running huge generators 24/7.
If you have concerns or questions (e.g. noise, light, impeding local boat traffic, dumping of suspicious substances, impacts on the environment), there are several ways you can report them:
- Fill out this online complaint form: https://www.portvancouver.com/southern-b-c-anchorage-noise-and-light-concerns/
- Call Port of Vancouver Harbour Master’s Office: 1 604-665-9086 press #2 for Marine Operations Centre.
- Report any apparent illegal fishing: DFO 1-800-465-4336
- Transport Canada has overall responsibility for commercial shipping activity. Unfortunately, Pacific Region Staff of Transport Canada are no longer engaging with residents on this issue. We recommend you copy any emails to: Federal Transport Minister: firstname.lastname@example.org and Parliamentary Secretary of Transport: email@example.com
- Explore this website to learn more and check out our easy letter tool here
Photo from MarineTraffic.com